The Northern Devon Employment & Skills Board (ESB) is tasked with understanding and communicating the needs of employers and investors in relation to business development and employment and skills issues.
The ESB has five priority areas:
- Educating for work and enterprise
- Business development and support
- Workforce skills
- Supporting people into work
- Fund raising and lobbying
The ESB attends the Heart of the South West Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) People Group, which addresses Employment, Skills and Social Inclusion across Devon & Somerset. Through this channel we contribute a local perspective to County, Regional and National economic and skills strategies, ensuring the voice of northern Devon is heard.
The ESB has two dedicated Sub Groups:
- The Apprenticeships Steering Group
- The Science, Technology, Engineering & Maths (STEM) Task Group
The ESB also initiates and secures funding for projects that address specific local areas of need. It facilitates several projects at any one time, collaborating with lead employers and relevant support agencies.
View current ESB projects
Members give their time voluntarily and meet quarterly to identify and improve employment and skills opportunities across northern Devon. We work closely with members and partners to promote growth and productivity for the economic well being of the area.
Our Board Members include decision-makers from:
- Nine of our largest employers
- Two local Authorities
- Training Providers
- Northern Devon Academic Board (Secondary Head teachers)
- Chambers of Commerce
- Federation of Small Businesses
- Agencies (Jobcentre Plus, Careers South West, National Apprenticeships Service, Skills Funding Agency)
View and download a summary of the Skills Action Plan
For more information please email Lisa Hutchings – Employment & Skills Manager
Website photography © ESB/North Devon+. Additional photography © Guy Harrop